Middle School Basketball Coach
JOB SUMMARY : This position is responsible for coaching and providing direction to student athletes so that they might achieve a high level of skill as well as an appreciation for discipline, sportsmanship and teamwork in athletics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES : Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned.
- Follows and maintains knowledge of all District policy(ies) and procedures.
- Instructs and demonstrates skill sets and techniques necessary for individual and team achievement in basketball.
- Plans and sets-up activities, practices and games.
- Insures a certified coach is present at all basketball practices and games.
- Develops appropriate training programs and practice schedules.
- Ensures that proper cleaning, storage, and maintenance of all athletic equipment and uniforms and updated inventories are adhered to.
- Arranges transportation for athletic participants.
- Arranges hotel room reservations for all overnight events except District and State competitions.
- Travels with student athletes on the team bus both to and from games.
- Adheres to all financial policies of the District in regard to the collection and disbursement of money, expenses, and receipts.
- Makes recommendations regarding the purchase of uniforms, equipment and supplies.
- Works with the Athletic Director in preparing practice and game schedules.
- Maintains necessary records and completes required paperwork in a specified time and manner.
- Ensures that proper form(s) (insurance, attendance, medical) obtained and current.
- Ensures that all student athletes are eligible, insured, have paid their fees and are in good physical condition from the beginning to the end of the season.
- Enforces discipline policies and emphasizes sportsmanship and healthy lifestyles.
- Supervises students in locker rooms at home and away games and ensures appropriate behavior.
- Checks and secures all office, storage room, outside doors, locker rooms and all lights after last player leaves after games and practices (Head Coach may delegate this responsibility to an Assistant Coach).
- Ensures that appropriate rules and regulations regarding the conduct and eligibility of athletic activities and athletes are explained and followed.
- Maintains a safe environment and facilities for student athletes at all times
- Ensures that medical and safety requirements are adhered to.
- Completes District injury report for any student injured within 24 hours even if student athlete does not see physician.
- Reports and secures approval from the Athletic Director of all adults associated with their sport.
- Submits athlete rosters to the Athletic Director before the first practice, one week before the first game, any changes to student information on the roster, inventories, final season statistics and list of award winners immediately following the season (list includes number of awards earned and the class of the athlete.).
- Consults with Athletic Director regarding any off-season training programs.
- Assigns duties to all assistant coaches under his/her jurisdiction; including pre-season practice sessions.
- Interacts thoughtfully and courteously with students, staff, parents, fellow coaches, and officials and resolves conflict in a professional manner.
- Appropriately maintains and secures confidential records and inquiries.
- Professionally represents the school and the District in interactions with student, parents, community, staff and the media
- Attends or delegates attendance of Assistant Coach to all League Coaches meetings.
- Maintains appropriate certifications and training hours as required.
- Attends work regularly and is punctual.
MARGINAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES : Marginal duties of this position include the following. Employees in this position perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may be assigned:
- Attends in-service trainings and staff meetings, as needed.
- Sanitizes and cleans equipment.
- Inspects facilities and athletic fields for health and safety concerns.
- Chaperones/supervises athletic events, as needed.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: All school employees have some responsibility for supervising students and assisting in maintaining a safe environment.
- Experienced (Non-Manager)
- Category: Education & Training - Type: Secondary And Vocational Education
- High School Diploma/Equivalency
QUALIFICATIONS : To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED) and/or at least two years related experience. Prior successful experience working in a school setting or coaching student athletes strongly preferred. Playing experience necessary.
Interpersonal Skills: Works well with others from diverse backgrounds. Focuses on solving conflict; maintaining confidentiality; listening to others without interrupting; keeping emotions under control; remaining open to others’ ideas and contributing to building a positive team spirit. Demonstrated ability to successfully coach, lead and/or motivate adolescent students.
Language Skills: Ability to communicate fluently verbally and in writing in English. Ability to effectively present information and respond effectively to questions in one-on-one, small group situations to students and other school staff. Ability to verbally respond to common inquiries from students. Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating instructions, procedure manuals and regulations. Ability to write general reports and correspondence.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions in varying forms. Ability to problem solve and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Computer Skills: General knowledge of computer usage and ability to use, e-mail, internet software and word processing software. Ability to type accurately and proficiently.
Other Skills and Abilities: Demonstrated knowledge of child growth and development at each level of instruction and of the social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of adolescent students. Demonstrated ability to participate in physically demanding athletic activities. Possesses knowledge of effective behavior management methods. Ability to exercise good judgment and work in a dynamic environment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Certificates as determined by the District. Ability to obtain a valid CPR/First Aid card, Driver License, eligible to receive a coaching certification through the Michigan High School Athletic Association.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; run; jump; stretch; stand; sit; use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds. The employee may occasionally climb stairs, ropes or ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus and peripheral vision. The employee must have the ability to demonstrate proper techniques and skills needed for athletic participation. Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is a standard gymnasium and other athletic practice and event settings.The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but occasionally high depending upon student population and activities. The employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid outdoor weather conditions. The employee may be exposed to bodily fluids and/or bloodborne pathogens.
OTHER Note: This is not necessarily an exhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job. This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guarantee of any specific terms or conditions of employment. The school district may add to, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at any time as it deems advisable
Detroit 90/90 is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, national origin, marital status, height, weight, age, unrelated disability or other legally protected status.