Special Education Teacher - U Prep Schools: 21-22 SY
Why U Prep schools?
Do you want a job? Or do you want a career in an organization making the difference in the life of scholars?
Families send their children to U Prep because they recognize education is a tool in shaping and changing lives and value the culturally responsive curriculum and learning environments that set our scholars on a path to college and meaningful careers, fulfillment, and becoming positive changes in our community.
The U Prep School district is home to ten K-12 schools with focused paths of College Prep, Art & Design, and STEM. We are one of the largest and longest public charter networks in Detroit – operating for over 20 years. We have alumni making a difference in the city, region, and beyond. Check out the latest 20 Black Detroiters Making History list to see some of our past scholars in action!
We continually seek out talented individuals to join the U Prep Crew and partner with us in supporting our educators and scholars as we all deliver on our mission. Read on if you are interested in being a part of this important work!
As a Special Education Teacher you will:
• Actively contributes to a professional community that focuses on instruction and high student achievement
• Seeks opportunities to develop their skills and knowledge
• Implements recommendations and best practices acquired through professional development, continuing education, observation, coaching, and evaluation
• Utilizes effective instructional practices responding to the needs of each student in the learning community
• Utilizes data to implement learning model and modify instructional practices and daily lesson plans as needed
• Works closely with principal to create and lead an effective Data Team within the school
• Coordinates curriculum within the team and school
• Integrates all aspects of the learning model into classroom procedures, instruction
• Ensures a safe, supportive, and productive environment for students
• Sets and maintains high academic expectations for students
• Implements effective student discipline, conflict resolution, and helpful student support services
• Promotes teamwork within the learning community
• Demonstrates cultural competencies in being part of a multi-cultural institution
• Incorporates core values into all work, projects, and interactions with members of the school community
• Actively engages parents in the learning process and school functions
• Communicates on a regular basis with families through newsletters, announcements, and updates
• Seeks and builds relationships with professional organizations
• Resolves parent issues respectfully and effectively
• Drafts, updates, and submits lesson plans and data analysis action plans on a consistent basis
• Takes accurate attendance in a timely manner
• Maintains professional credentials and submits updates to the Human Resources Department prior to expiration dates
• Responds to requests from the School Operations Team for any required actions or documents to maintain accurate and complete records and meet reporting deadlines
• Implements classroom procedures that promote a safe, clean, orderly, and productive classroom environment
• Knowledge of curriculum, instruction, and assessment
• Mission-driven, connecting the overall teaching strategy to the goals of U Prep Schools
• Ability to nurture and sustain high-quality teaching
• Experience in building positive relationships with colleagues, students, and parents
• Ability to make decisions in a strategic way balancing building strong relationships and maintaining high academic rigor
• Courage to make decisions in support of academic and cultural goals while maintaining a steady pulse of team and school goals
• Meticulous organization and use of time
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Bachelors’ degree or higher
• Must have and maintain valid Michigan teaching certificate or a bachelors degree in the content area
• Must meet highly qualified criteria in content area taught, which includes certificate endorsement in the appropriate area(s)
• Desire to teach in an urban environment
How do we support you?
Our education teams are at the heart of our ability to serve our scholars well. We provide them the robust support they need and help create clean, safe, well-resourced spaces for our scholars to learn and grow. You’ll be supported in a variety of ways too:
- Working in well resourced and designed buildings that promote the physical and emotional safety necessary for learning.
- Competitive pay and the chance to grow your career and compensation
- A comprehensive benefit package, including retirement plan with a generous match.
- Paid vacation, personal, and sick time along with district wide wellness days.
- Provided time and programs for professional development.
- Given opportunities to collaborate with your peers and receive guidance from a mentor.
- Supported by an engaged leadership and administrative team.
- Working with team members who take great pride in their work and schools.
- Interacting with highly engaged families who prioritize education and learning.
We believe a U Prep education sets scholars on a path to a future full of possibilities. That school are more than just a building. That providing culturally responsive learning environments allow all children to thrive. If you are a thinker, doer, and believer in the power of education to shape and build lives we should talk. Let’s connect and discuss the possibility of you becoming part of team changing lives and our community for the better!
Detroit 9090 is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination of any kind. All employment decisions with Detroit 9090 are based on district needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status.