Music Teacher - University Prep Schools
About U Prep Schools:
If you are dedicated to a pursuit of excellence both in yourself and our students; if you are self-motivated; if you are an innovator and if you want to play a key role in changing young lives --we are looking for U. Our mission: to give students the courage to pursue a future full of possibilities. Our students come to our network of schools looking for a rewarding and fulfilling education. Comprised of two public charter school districts; University Preparatory Academy and University Prep Science and Math; we educate over 3,300 students in the burgeoning city of Detroit. Help us to prepare our students for success in life and be a part of U.
U Prep teachers are responsible for implementing curriculum, maintaining a positive classroom culture, using assessments to drive instructional practice, using district resources in an efficient and responsible manner,contributing to the educational and social development of all students, and participating in the professional development of the learning community.
- Knowledge of curriculum, instruction, and assessment;
- Mission-driven, connecting the overall teaching strategy to the goals of U Prep Schools;
- Ability to nurture and sustain high-quality teaching;
- Experience in building positive relationships with colleagues, students, and parents;
- Ability to make decisions in a strategic way balancing building strong relationships and maintaining high academic rigor;
- Courage to make decisions in support of academic and cultural goals while maintaining a steady pulse of team and school goals;
- Meticulous organization and use of time;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Works closely with principal to create and lead an effective Data Team within the school;
- Utilizes data to implement learning model and modify instructional practices and daily lesson plans as needed;
- Utilizes effective instructional practices responding to the needs of each student in the learning community;
- Implements recommendations and best practices acquired through professional development, continuing education, observation, coaching, and evaluation;
- Seeks opportunities to develop their skills and knowledge;
- Actively contributes to a professional community that focuses on instruction and high student achievement;
- Desire to teach in an urban environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The primary duties and areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, the following:
Must meet highly qualified criteria in content area taught, which includes certificate endorsement in the
- Must have and maintain valid Michigan teaching certificate;
- Bachelors’ degree or higher, preferably focused on educational leadership or curriculum and instruction;
Certified in Michigan to teach 6-8 endorsed in Music Education (JX)
Coordinates curriculum within the team and school;
- Integrates all aspects of the learning model into classroom procedures, instruction;
- Ensures a safe, supportive, and productive environment for students;
- Sets and maintains high academic expectations for students;
- Implements effective student discipline, conflict resolution, and helpful student support services;
- Promotes teamwork within the learning community;
- Demonstrates cultural competencies in being part of a multi-cultural institution;
- Incorporates core values into all work, projects, and interactions with members of the school community;
- Actively engages parents in the learning process and school functions;
- Communicates on a regular basis with families through newsletters, announcements, and updates;
- Seeks and builds relationships with professional organizations;
- Resolves parent issues respectfully and effectively;
- Drafts, updates, and submits lesson plans and data analysis action plans on a consistent basis;
- Takes accurate attendance in a timely manner;
- Maintains professional credentials and submits updates to the Human Resources Department prior to
- expiration dates;
- Responds to requests from the School Operations Team for any required actions or documents to maintain accurate and complete records and meet reporting deadlines; and,
• Implements classroom procedures that promote a safe, clean, orderly, and productive classroom environment.
All interested and qualified candidates should upload a copy of your MI credential (if required for the position) with their cover letter and resume.