School Counselor 21-22 SY
Why U Prep schools?
Do you want a job? Or do you want a career in an organization making the difference in the life of scholars?
Families send their children to U Prep because they recognize education is a tool in shaping and changing lives and value the culturally responsive curriculum and learning environments that set our scholars on a path to college and meaningful careers, fulfillment, and becoming positive changes agent in our community.
The U Prep School district is home to ten K-12 schools with focused paths of College Prep, Art & Design, and STEM. We are one of the largest and longest public charter networks in Detroit – operating for over 20 years. We have alumni making a difference in the city, region, and beyond. Check out the latest 20 Black Detroiters Making History list to see some of our past scholars in action!
We continually seek out talented individuals to join the U Prep Crew and partner with us in supporting our educators and scholars as we all deliver on our mission. Read on if you are interested in being a part of this important work!
The Guidance Counselor is primarily responsible for guiding and advocating for students in the domains of Academic Development, Personal/Social Development, and Career Development. Further, the counselor must be committed to distributed leadership, actively participate in a professional learning community and embrace families and the community to achieve a common outcome for the student achievement in a school. Candidate should possess strong interpersonal and (oral/written) communication; be detailed oriented, independent and flexible; as well as have patience and empathy for adolescents and their families.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Employee’s duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support University Prep Schools’ goal of maintaining 60-75% inner district middle school matriculation through various college counseling strategies and initiatives;
- Manage a school-wide caseload of students;
- Facilitate annual Educational Planning (EDP) meetings with 7 providing in-depth guidance; utilizing career and interests’ assessment results as a resource;
- Utilize relevant theory to provide counseling services geared towards Personal/Social Development, with special emphasis with self-awareness and management of self;
- Consult and partner-plan with school administration and instructors on school policies and pertinent student cases;
- Facilitate, coordinate and attend college and career readiness events/activities; i.e. college tours, parent nights, college prep lectures, career expos, etc.;
- Coordinate admissions presentations with college admissions representatives; 7th and 8th grade student,
- Manage college office files for student caseloads and other pertinent college office resources;
- Utilize relevant technology platforms to manage college prep data and to promote student/parent engagement in college prep processes;
- Provide limited services in crisis intervention and general mental health concerns for students as scheduling permits;
- Make appropriate clinical referrals to partnering agencies for ongoing mental health services as identified;
- Conduct ongoing research and disseminate information on college admissions, financial aid, and other pertinent post-secondary planning resources;
- Attend school and district staff meetings as determined by school Principal;
- Attend professional development conferences in college admissions and financial aid as required;
- And perform these and other related duties as directed.
- Bachelor’s degree in an educational field is desirable;
- Master’s degree in counseling strongly preferred;
- Must hold a Michigan School Counselor License (SCL), or an NT endorsement in school counseling, or a preliminary authorization to work as a school counselor (with full licensure within one year).
- Minimum of 1-2 years working in an urban middle school setting is strongly preferred.
- The Guidance Counselor must possess the knowledge, abilities, skills and attitude to...
- Establish a healthy rapport with students and staff;
- Plan, organize, and implement a Comprehensive Guidance & Counseling Program and supportive activities according to state standards of practice;
- Implement and follow through on simultaneous projects and tasks;
- Contribute to the development of an objective, positive, supportive environment for staff and students; and
- Maintain knowledge of changing trends and best practices in the area of college counseling and applies knowledge in the schools.
Demonstrates U Preps Core Values:
- We work well by ourselves and teams
- We care about people
- Our actions have a purpose
- We think big and do
- Learning is exciting
About U Prep Schools:
If you are dedicated to a pursuit of excellent both in yourself and our students; if you are self-motivated; if you are an innovator and if you want to play a key role in changing young lives—we are looking for U. Our mission: to give students the courage to pursue a future full of possibilities. Our students come to our network of schools looking for a regarding and fulfilling education. Comprised of three public charter school districts; University Preparatory Academy, University Preparatory Science and Math and University Preparatory Art and Design; we educate over 4,500 students in the burgeoning city of Detroit. Help us to prepare our students for success in life and be a part of U.
Detroit 9090 is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination of any kind. All employment decisions with Detroit 9090 are based on district needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, citizenship status, mental or physical disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, or military status.