UPrep District Girls Basketball Coach
JOB SUMMARY : This position is responsible forcoaching and providing direction to student athletes so that they might achievea high level of skill as well as an appreciation for discipline, sportsmanshipand teamwork in athletics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :Essential duties of this position include the following. Employees in thisposition perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may beassigned.
1. Follows and maintains knowledge of all District policy(ies) andprocedures.
2. Instructs and demonstrates skill sets and techniques necessaryfor individual and team achievement in basketball.
3. Plans and sets-up activities, practices and games.
4. Insures a certified coach is present at all basketball practicesand games.
5. Develops appropriate training programs and practice schedules.
6. Ensures that proper cleaning, storage, and maintenance of allathletic equipment and uniforms and updated inventories are adhered to.
7. Arranges transportation for athletic participants.
8. Arranges hotel room reservations for all overnight events exceptDistrict and State competitions.
9. Travels with student athletes on the team bus both to and fromgames.
10. Adheresto all financial policies of the District in regard to the collection anddisbursement of money, expenses, and receipts.
11. Makesrecommendations regarding the purchase of uniforms, equipment and supplies.
12. Workswith the Athletic Director in preparing practice and game schedules.
13. Maintainsnecessary records and completes required paperwork in a specified time andmanner.
14. Ensuresthat proper form(s) (insurance, attendance, medical) obtained and current.
15. Ensuresthat all student athletes are eligible, insured, have paid their fees and arein good physical condition from the beginning to the end of the season.
16. Enforcesdiscipline policies and emphasizes sportsmanship and healthy lifestyles.
17. Supervisesstudents in locker rooms at home and away games and ensures appropriatebehavior.
18. Checksand secures all office, storage room, outside doors, locker rooms and alllights after last player leaves after games and practices (Head Coach maydelegate this responsibility to an Assistant Coach).
19. Ensuresthat appropriate rules and regulations regarding the conduct and eligibility ofathletic activities and athletes are explained and followed.
20. Maintainsa safe environment and facilities for student athletes at all times
21. Ensuresthat medical and safety requirements are adhered to.
22. CompletesDistrict injury report for any student injured within 24 hours even if studentathlete does not see physician.
23. Reportsand secures approval from the Athletic Director of all adults associated withtheir sport.
24. Submitsathlete rosters to the Athletic Director before the first practice, one weekbefore the first game, any changes to student information on the roster,inventories, final season statistics and list of award winners immediatelyfollowing the season (list includes number of awards earned and the class ofthe athlete.).
25. Consultswith Athletic Director regarding any off-season training programs.
26. Assignsduties to all assistant coaches under his/her jurisdiction; includingpre-season practice sessions.
27. Interactsthoughtfully and courteously with students, staff, parents, fellow coaches, andofficials and resolves conflict in a professional manner.
28. Appropriatelymaintains and secures confidential records and inquiries.
29. Professionallyrepresents the school and the District in interactions with student, parents,community, staff and the media
30. Attendsor delegates attendance of Assistant Coach to all League Coaches meetings.
31. Maintainsappropriate certifications and training hours as required.
32. Attendswork regularly and is punctual.
MARGINAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :Marginal duties of this position include the following. Employees in thisposition perform some or all of the following tasks. Other duties may beassigned:
1. Attends in-service trainings and staff meetings, as needed.
2. Sanitizes and cleans equipment.
3. Inspects facilities and athletic fields for health and safetyconcerns.
4. Chaperones/supervises athletic events, as needed.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: All schoolemployees have some responsibility for supervising students and assisting inmaintaining a safe environment.
· Experienced (Non-Manager)
· Category: Education & Training - Type: Secondary AndVocational Education
· High School Diploma/Equivalency
QUALIFICATIONS : To perform this jobsuccessfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential dutysatisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of theknowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be madeto enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: High schooldiploma or General Education Diploma (GED) and/or at least two years relatedexperience. Prior successful experience working in a school setting or coachingstudent athletes strongly preferred. Playing experience necessary.
Interpersonal Skills: Works well with othersfrom diverse backgrounds. Focuses on solving conflict; maintainingconfidentiality; listening to others without interrupting; keeping emotionsunder control; remaining open to others’ ideas and contributing to building apositive team spirit. Demonstrated ability to successfully coach, lead and/ormotivate adolescent students.
Language Skills: Ability to communicatefluently verbally and in writing in English. Ability to effectively presentinformation and respond effectively to questions in one-on-one, small groupsituations to students and other school staff. Ability to verbally respond tocommon inquiries from students. Ability to read and interpret documents such assafety rules, operating instructions, procedure manuals and regulations.Ability to write general reports and correspondence.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract,multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, commonfractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to define problems,collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpretan extensive variety of instructions in varying forms. Ability to problem solveand deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limitedstandardization exists.
Computer Skills: General knowledge of computerusage and ability to use, e-mail, internet software and word processingsoftware. Ability to type accurately and proficiently.
Other Skills and Abilities: Demonstratedknowledge of child growth and development at each level of instruction and ofthe social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of adolescent students.Demonstrated ability to participate in physically demanding athleticactivities. Possesses knowledge of effective behavior management methods.Ability to exercise good judgment and work in a dynamic environment.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:Certificates as determined by the District. Ability to obtain a valid CPR/FirstAid card, Driver License, eligible to receive a coaching certification throughthe Michigan High School Athletic Association.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demandsdescribed here are representative of those that must be met by an employee tosuccessfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonableaccommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to performthe essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employeeis regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required towalk; run; jump; stretch; stand; sit; use hands for fine manipulation, handleor feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required tostoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move upto 25 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds. The employee may occasionallyclimb stairs, ropes or ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this jobinclude close vision, distance vision, ability to adjust focus and peripheralvision. The employee must have the ability to demonstrate proper techniques andskills needed for athletic participation. Work Environment The work environmentcharacteristics described here are representative of those an employeeencounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonableaccommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to performthe essential functions. The work environment is a standard gymnasium and otherathletic practice and event settings.The noise level in the work environment isusually moderate but occasionally high depending upon student population andactivities. The employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid outdoor weatherconditions. The employee may be exposed to bodily fluids and/or bloodbornepathogens.
OTHER Note: This is not necessarily anexhaustive or all-inclusive list of responsibilities, skills, duties,requirements, efforts, functions or working conditions associated with the job.This job description is not a contract of employment or a promise or guaranteeof any specific terms or conditions of employment. The school district may addto, modify or delete any aspect of this job (or the position itself) at anytime as it deems advisable
Detroit 90/90 is an equal opportunity employerand does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, nationalorigin, marital status, height, weight, age, unrelated disability or otherlegally protected status.