JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for advising and overseeing the activities of the chess team. The chess team is open to any academically qualified student. To provide an avenue for students to enhance their understanding of chess and to compete with other schools. The Chess Team holds frequent matches to prepare for state-wide tournaments which are held throughout the school year.
Essential functions of the job may include but are not limited to the following
• Develop opportunities for all students interested in the game of chess.
• Create a criteria for selection of students who will compete in conference competition.
• Supervise the chess team activities.
• Determine role and selection of team leaders.
• Establish team goals and plan for chess preparation and competition;
• Promote and monitor these goals to keep the team on task.
• Encourage students to learn the game of chess and improve their chess playing skills.
• Monitor and work within chess team budget.
• Help team plan fundraisers, team events, and competitions.
• Plan and coordinate all team practices and competitions.
• Learn the new rules for competitions.
• Organize and order supplies
• Maintain positive relationships with students, interacts with students and adults in a respectful manner and support our diverse population
• Confirms the security of the facilities and ensures that students have a way to get home
• Creates fliers and posters for meetings which includes the event time and location and obtains approval before posting
• Promotes and publicizes club meetings and events by utilizing PA announcements, fliers and posters, video announcements, and social media accounts
• Maintains a variety of documents including club’s activity account budget, field trip and attendance records for club meetings and events.
• Communicates with building administration and other coaches to minimize calendar conflicts.
• Uses appropriate channels to resolve concerns and problems.
Other functions of the job include but are not limited to the following
• Encourage students to appreciate and value their classmates, school, and community.
• Encourage activities in support of school and community.
Knowledge Skills and Ability Required
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Knowledge of the rules and game of chess.
• Previous experience as a coach or participant on a chess team preferred.
• High school diploma or above.
• Successful experience working with high school age students.
• Excellent organizational ability.
• Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with students, parents, staff and community members.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Must have the ability and proven ability to report to work on a regular and punctual basis.
• Perform all other related work delegated or required to accomplish the objectives of the program.
• Normal school settings